Sustainability at Flix
Our sustainability vision
“We drive sustainable and affordable travel for everyone.”
Sustainability is an integral part of our DNA since we brought our first buses on the road. We are driven by our purpose more than ever to drive sustainable and affordable travel for everyone to experience the world. At Flix, our sustainability state of mind is to achieve a good balance between ecology, economy and society as well as to create shared values for our stakeholders. We commit to driving safe and sustainable mobility for generations, safeguarding high business ethics and integrity, and contributing positive impact on our planet, people and society as a whole.
Our sustainability strategy is based on the environmental, social and governance (ESG) framework. Here we defined our main strategic pillars as Planet, People, Mobility as well as the foundation of these – our Governance.
Protecting the Planet
As a global tech mobility provider of affordable, accessible and intermodal travel, Flix holds a central responsibility to protect the planet and lead by example. Together with our partners, we set high environmental standards and push the boundaries for alternative mobility technologies, while providing already today more sustainable collective alternatives to the individual private car.
- Ensure high environmental standards for the FlixBus and FlixTrain fleets.
- Enhance the implementation of sustainable mobility through alternative drive and fuel technologies.
- Improve energy efficiency in operations by adopting sustainable practices in offices, procurement, and travel policies.
- Encourage customers to voluntarily offset their CO2 emissions through a credible offsetting system.
Caring for People
In collective transport, safety is essential for all - our customers, employees and crews. Moreover, one of the great challenges of our time is to promote an equal, diverse and inclusive society. Together with our partners throughout the value chain, we are raising the bar of road safety and social standards in the mobility sector to create a safe, equal, diverse and inclusive environment in the workplace and wider society.
- Put safety of customers, employees and crews first
- Ensure fair compensation & decent working conditions for employees and crews
- Embrace diversity, equality and inclusion (DEI) in our company culture and values
- Be a responsible corporate citizen and create positive social impact through strategic NGO partnerships.
Mobility is at an important turning point focusing on several aspects. While climate protection measures pay off for the future, our commitment of connecting people around the world with affordable and accessible travels enhances our customers’ daily lives. Together with our partners, we are shaping the future of mobility through innovation and partnershipsacross sectors.
- Provide affordable, accessible and intermodal travel options to connect communities and regions
- Trailblaze “the road to renewables” and accelerate carbon-neutral technologies with Europe’s first alternative drive long distance buses
- Build multi-stakeholder partnerships to scale up alternative drive and fuel technologies in our fleet and transform the long distance coach market
Strong Governance as foundation
Leading by example is our basic virtue. Therefore, we see strong governance at Flix and across the value chain as the foundation of our three strategic pillars people, planet and mobility. We established a Sustainability Steering Committee on Board level as the oversight body on sustainability performance. The committee is chaired by the CEO with senior leadership taking roles of business ambassadors across departments, which ensures the integration of sustainability goals and actions into business practices. Multiple governance and business ethics policies are established, for instance, data protection, employee Code of Conduct, Code of Conduct for business partners.
- Comply with high business ethics standards and regulatory requirements
- Uphold of international human rights & labor laws
- Strengthen responsible value chain management and integrate high environmental and social standards
- Safeguard cybersecurity & data protection
In line with the GRI framework, we conducted a double-materiality analysis in 2022 with internal and external stakeholders to identify the most important topics for our sustainability. The outcomes are 14 material topics that demonstrate high impacts on the long-term company success, as well as on the Environment, Economy and Society.